Georgia law (O.C.G.A § 21-2-417) requires Georgia residents to show photo identification when voting in person. If you have questions, need more information or have difficulty getting a free Voter Identification Card, you can contact your county registrar’s office or the Secretary of State’s Elections Division at:
Telephone (8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
Telephone (404) 656-2871
V/TTY: (404) 656-1787
Fax: (404) 651-9531
What IDs Are Acceptable?
- Any valid state or federal government issued photo ID, including a free ID Card issued by your county registrar's office or the Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS)
- A Georgia Driver's License, even if expired
- Valid employee photo ID from any branch, department, agency, or entity of the U.S. Government, Georgia, or any county, municipality, board, authority or other entity of this state
- Valid U.S. passport ID
- Valid U.S. military photo ID
- Valid tribal photo ID
If you do not have one of the six acceptable forms of photo ID, the State of Georgia offers a free ID Card. An ID card can be issued at any county registrar's office free of charge.
To receive a voter identification card at the county registrar's office, the voter must provide:
- A photo identity document or approved non-photo identity document that includes full legal name and date of birth
- Documentation showing the voter's date of birth
- Evidence that the applicant is a registered voter
- Documentation showing the applicant's name and residential address
A Voter ID card can be issued at any Georgia Department of Driver Services office free of charge.
To receive a free Georgia voter identification card at Georgia Driver Services, voters must provide:
- An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as a Birth Certificate or Passport.
- Your SOCIAL SECURITY CARD
- Two documents showing your RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS such as a Bank Statement or Utility Bill
- If you've had a NAME CHANGE, then you'll also need to bring a document to prove that, such as a Marriage License.
- Signed Affidavit
- Evidence that you are a registered voter
NOTE: For a full list of documents required for a Identification Card issued by the Georgia Department of Driver Services please go to Secure ID.